Lose Weight With Keto Diet – Simple and Easy!
So far, you have already heard that a low-carbohydrate diet is very effective for weight loss.
Over 20 studies have shown that these types of diets are effective for losing weight and preserving the health of the body. They have a positive effect on many diseases such as Alzheimer’s, diabetes, cancer, and epilepsy.
In this topic you will find how can you lose weight with keto diet and is it safe for our body or not.
The ketogenic diet is based on the principles of low carbohydrate intake.
Although this diet is very old, it was popular in 1994 after a star from Hollywood, Jim Abrahams successfully cured epilepsy his son by following the nutrition plan for a ketogenic diet.
What Is The Keto Diet And How Does It Work?
Keto diet is also called a ketogenic diet. It is a diet rich in fats, and poor in carbohydrates (low-carb and high-fat diet, or shortened LCHF diet). Do you doubt now, because it does not sound logical that you need to bring in a lot of fat to melt your fat deposits on your body?
To make it clearer to you, how will it be possible, I will explain how the burning of fat in your body works.
In order for our body to get energy, it needs some sort of fuel and what it takes from the carbohydrates. They dissolve into free sugars in the body, and this is the most important role of glucose. It is the most simple and superior fuel to the body.
When you enter inadequate carbohydrates, the body begins to search for another source of energy for its muscles.
In the absence of glucose, it begins to burn fat and use it as a fuel. When it comes to this, you have actually brought your body to a state known as ketosis. And then your weight loss process begins!
Ketosis is the state of an organism that arises as a result of a metabolic process called ketogenesis.
During this process, the liver begins to produce ketone bodies and cells begin to use them as a source of energy.
Is this process unnatural?
Given today’s diet, it is. However, if you look back at a distant past, it is quite natural that the body of our ancestors in this way was adapted to periods when there was not enough food.
Ketosis is a natural process and a way to adapt the body to new conditions and a new diet.
Keto diet aims to encourage weight loss by causing this process in the body, and from there we get the name of this diet.
What Are Ketose Symptoms?
You want to try a keto diet, but are not sure you are doing it right? How do you even know that you are in the condition of the ketosis?
You need to know how to recognize the symptoms of ketosis!
These symptoms are not pleasant, especially at the beginning of a diet, but are a sign that the keto diet in your body starts to show results. You can experience the following symptoms:
- a headache
- weakness and fatigue
- metal taste in the mouth and bad breath
- nausea and abdominal pain
- frequent urination
To help you overcome these starting symptoms of a keto diet, you can drink plenty of water, take vitamins, minerals or make protein beverages that will give you energy and relieve the symptoms of ketosis.
Most of these symptoms disappear when the body adjusts to the condition caused by ketone bodies in the body.
If you are not sure of the symptoms, ketones in the urine may show if you are in the ketosis state. This requires the measurement and testing using special tape. The most reliable way is to measure blood ketones.
What Is Meant By Keto Nutrition?
Ketogenic nutrition primarily involves reduced carbohydrate intake – 20 to 50 grams per day. Although a diet that has less than 100g of carbohydrates is classified in low-carb diet, such a carbohydrate intake will not allow your body to enter the ketosis state.
In addition to the minimal intake of carbohydrates, this diet also means the intake of fat and protein.
The ideal proportion of nutrients in the keto diet is 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbohydrate.
Do you need to count calories when you are on this diet?
It is desirable! You need to know how many calories you need to get in a day to lose weight and how to combine fats and proteins.
- The amount of protein you need to enter through the keto diet should be in line with your weight and height. The rule is that one gram of protein goes to one kilogram of weight. When you multiply that number to 4, you get the number of calories you need to take from the protein.
- The rest of the calories in the keto diet should be greasy. To determine how much calorie it is, it is necessary to take away the number of protein calories from the total number of protein calories.
- You can easily reach the amount of carbohydrates of 20-50g by eating fruits and vegetables, so you do not need to count them.
What You Should Eat When You Are On Keto Diet?
Theoretically, it is now clear how this diet works and what a balanced diet of keto looks like. But what exactly to eat when you are on a keto diet? Is there a menu?
In fact, ketogenic nutrition is simple. You should avoid cooking foods and processed products, sugars, starch, pasta and turn to the right foods.
Menu of the keto diet should include the following:
- Meat, fish and seafood. You can eat chicken, beef, pork, turkey. Unlike most diets recommended by meatless meats, this is not the case in this diet. You can eat oily flesh and chicken skin, but you should avoid meat products. As far as fish are concerned, you can eat all kinds of fish and seafood.
- Eggs – can be saved in any way. They are an excellent source of protein.
- Fats – vegetable oils, sunflower oil, olive oil, coconut oil and other sources of fat will help you to store food and enter that fatty part of the foods that are needed in the keto diet.
- Dairy products – whole cream sour cream, cheese, butter, yogurt. Be moderate with milk because it contains milk sugar.
- Vegetables – cabbage, cucumber, spaghetti, cauliflower, broccoli, onion, salad, peppers, zucchini, tomatoes and everything else that grows above the ground.
- Nuts: hazelnuts, almonds and the like.
Foodstuffs which do not need to be part of your keto diet:
- Sugar in all shapes – avoid sweets, juices, cookies, cereals, cakes
- Starch – bread, potatoes, pasta, muesli, legumes, beans, root vegetables
- Margarine – although it is a type of fat, is not a healthy fat and is never a good choice.
- Fruit – it’s not quite prohibited, but you need to choose the one that is less sweet, because it still has a certain amount of sugar, so you can easily exceed the carbohydrate intake.
The best way to get successful results with a ketogenic diet is to accept such a menu. A small plan and organization in this field is not in vain.
Before starting with a new diet, remove from your kitchen inventory all products that are not desirable on your menu during a keto diet.
Instead, make supplies of those foods that you will use in everyday nutrition. So the least chance is that you will be tempted and interrupted with your diet.
Types Of Keto Diet
Keto diet is a popular weight loss option for people who are overweight and very popular with athletes. Depending on the level of physical activity, the choice of the type of diet depends.
There are 3 types of this diet:
- A standard keto diet for weight loss, which actually comes down to the LCHF diet I have described. With this kind of diet it is very difficult to be physically active.
- The targeted keto diet is intended for people who engage in physical activity. Unlike the standard, this type of diet recommends extra carbohydrate intake just before training, in order to give enough energy for training. It will be an additional 20-50g of carbohydrates. It is necessary for this amount of calories to reduce the intake of fat.
- A cyclic ketogenic diet that combines days when a standard keto diet is held, and days when carbohydrates are eaten, called “filling” days. Usually it is 5-6 days of LCHF diet and 1-2 days of days that are determined to charge the spent glycogen in the muscles.
What Are The Experiences With Keto Diet?
If you stick to the rules, you will have positive experiences with keto diet. In the first week you will feel exhausted, but then you will lose a lot of pounds. Much of this weight is water.
It is true that your first symptoms of ketosis can scare and discourage you. But they are quite normal. It is a sudden change in the body to be adapted.
Often, urinating is one of the ways the body is adapted and it is a sign that it is releasing excess fluid.
This diet has been developed primarily for therapeutic purposes and should therefore give you more confidence.
Experience has shown that the ketogenic diet is useful in treating and alleviating the symptoms of epilepsy, Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, and is often referred to as an effective weapon in the fight against cancer. It only later began to be used as a weight loss diet.
Can too much fat and protein in the diet affect the weight loss process?
The experiences with keto diet have shown that poor application of the rules can lead to the results not being as expected. These are some reasons:
- You have too many expectations. At the beginning of this diet, you lose a lot of weight through the loss of fluid. The loss of fatty tissue is less visible and considerably slower. If you are physically active, you should keep in mind that muscles have their weight. So you lose fat deposits, but it’s not immediately apparent.
- You have not reduced your carbohydrate intake sufficiently. Some people will reach the state of ketosis with 50g of carbohydrates per day, while some of them need this too much for the desired results and they need 20g. Every organism reacts differently. Track your results.
- Eat too many nuts. Although they are in a menu of this diet and are a great substitute for snacks, you do not need to overdo it so that you do not get too many calories.
- Eat too many dairy products. Sometimes too much protein from dairy products can induce ketosis and leads to an increase in insulin levels. The higher the level of insulin, the less the ketone bodies, and therefore the result.
- You are not consistent and too often you cheat, snack, eat sweets.
Does This Diet Have Any Side Effects?
There are certain health conditions when keto diets are not a good choice. This is, for example, the case when you have kidney problems.
They have a role to remove waste from our body. The LCHF diet increases the number of ketone bodies in the blood, and therefore the kidneys have more work and can become overburdened. If you have kidney problems, ketogenic nutrition is not the right choice for you.
There is also a suspicion that foods rich in fats and proteins can increase the level of bad cholesterol.
Although there are many claims that this diet works the exact opposite, if you have a problem with elevated cholesterol and heart problems, it would be best if you consult a doctor or nutritionist before starting a diet.
Certainly, any exaggeration is harmful, so you must carefully look at yourself and the signs that your body sends to you, which may indicate that something is wrong.
One of the risks that can occur when you hold this is ketoacidosis, which is often mixed with the ketosis.
Ketoacidosis, unlike ketosis, is not a normal process in the body and is not something to be tolerated.
It is a sign that there are too many ketone bodies in the blood, and then it becomes sour. Symptoms such as frequent urination, breathing with acetone scent, constant thirst and fatigue are signs that should be closely monitored.
With these symptoms there is a loss of weight, which is what you want to achieve with a weight loss diet.
Do not confuse this. Be alert, follow the signals your body sends and contact your doctor if this condition persists. True, this phenomenon is more common in people suffering from diabetes and rarely occurs in healthy persons.
Advantages Of Using Keto Diet
This diet is used as a treatment in the treatment of many diseases. When using a weight loss diet, it’s best to be healthy. Then you can expect to see the benefits of a keto diet:
- weight loss due to the process of ketosis that burns excess fat on the body
- lower blood sugar, due to reduced carbohydrate intake and ketone production
- more energy when your body gets used to the new diet
- building muscles if you exercise and lift weights, because foods you consume are rich in proteins, and they play an important role in muscle building
Like any other diet in which you do not get the full range of nutritious foods, keto diet is not a long-term solution nor should it be a lifestyle.
It’s just the way to get to your ideal body weight. You do not need to exhaust yourself if you do not get back the kilograms. Just do not go back to the old nutrition and look for a lifestyle in a healthy and proper diet and regular physical activity.
Be free to leave a comment below about your experience with keto diet, if you had some, I would be happy to hear it.